4th of July celebrations are getting closer and churches often host special programs for Independence Day. Music is often a key element in most special events.
There are numerous ways churches can engage their community in July 4th activities. Here are just a few:
- Patriotic concerts on your campus – work with your musicians, singers and worship team to feature special patriotic tunes in an outdoor venue.
- Host a free movie night with popcorn and refreshments featuring a film like “Independence Day,” “Air Force One,” or “Iron Man.”
- Celebrate the diversity of our nation by featuring songs sung in different languages, and focusing on various cultural groups and how they enrich our country.
- If your church is in a metropolitan area that is home to a MLB baseball team, organize an outing to a home game.
We also compiled some great ideas from Diana Davis at Pastors.com on how to reach out to your community on this patriotic holiday.
- Fireworks viewing — Does your church site offer a great view of local fireworks? Post an outdoor sign inviting neighbors to bring lawn chairs and enjoy the fireworks there. As church members serve watermelon and sodas, they visit with guests and invite them for worship on Sunday.
- Children’s 4th of July Parade — Plan a fun kids’ parade for your community. Get permission to block the street in front of the church, or stage the parade route in the parking lot. Advertise it everywhere, and be sure to create a Facebook event so members can invite friends. All kids in town can participate, dressing in red, white, and blue to walk or ride decorated bikes. Kids meet at a staging area for sendoff, and parents line the parade route. A big “God Bless America” banner and flags lead the parade, and children’s Sunday School teachers distribute printed church invitations to viewers. Hokey? Oh, yes, but great family fun.
- Community leaders – Invite community leaders or military servicemen to lead the prayer, pledge, or read Scripture during worship on the Sunday nearest July 4th.
We hope you will celebrate a happy and safe Fourth of July! If you need any assistance with performance licenses, just call one of our CCS reps at 1-855-876-5837 or log onto our website and live chat today.
About Christian Copyright Solutions: CCS’s quest is to help churches and Christian ministries “do music right.” CCS is an expert on church music copyrights and our primary focus is providing licensing and clear educational resources to churches, as well as representation, administration, and advocacy for copyright owners. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. The information contained herein is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel.